2013 GRAND-AM PLANS
Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Announces 2013 GRAND-AM Plans
Season-Long Entry and 51st Annual Rolex 24 At Daytona Lineup Announced
INDIANAPOLIS (Dec. 17, 2012) – Six-time and reigning GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Champions (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012) Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (CGRFS) announced today its season-long program for 2013, including their driver line-up for the Rolex 24 At Daytona.
Long-time partner TELMEX returns as the primary sponsor of the No. 01 Dinan-Prepared BMW Riley piloted by Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas, the most-successful driving duo in GRAND-AM history, who return for their seventh consecutive season with CGRFS.
BMW Power returns for a fourth consecutive season through the support and assistance of BMW of North America and Dinan Engineering. The 5.0-liter BMW M S62 V8 power plant has driven the team to 16 Daytona Prototype class victories in 37 races over the last three seasons.
In addition, the four-time Rolex 24 At Daytona Winners (2006, 2007, 2008, 2011) will again run a two-car effort for the 51st running of the prestigious Rolex 24 At Daytona, featuring eight drivers representing some of the best talent the motor racing world has to offer. Pruett and Rojas will unite with Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates (EGR) NASCAR teammate Juan Pablo Montoya and Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing INDYCAR teammate Charlie Kimball to form the lineup in the No. 01 TELMEX/Target Dinan-Prepared BMW, while Team Target Indy car pilots Scott Dixon and Dario Franchitti join EGR teammate Jamie McMurray and sports car racing talent Joey Hand in the No. 02 Target/TELMEX Dinan-Prepared BMW.
NOTES OF INTEREST:
• The 2013 CGRFS Rolex 24 At Daytona driver roster is an impressive group of international racing champions representing five Indianapolis 500 titles (Montoya-2000, Franchitti-2007, 2010, 2012 and Dixon-2008), seven Indy car championships (Montoya-1999, Dixon-2003, 2008 and Franchitti-2007, 2009, 2010, 2011), six Daytona Prototype championships (Pruett-2004, 2006 and Pruett/Rojas-2008, 2010, 2011, 2012) and 11 Rolex 24 At Daytona wins.
• 2013 marks the 41st anniversary of BMW Motorsport.
• 2013 will be Dinan Engineering’s 10th season (2004-2013) in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Cars Series and their fourth with TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates.
• 2012 was marked by Chip Ganassi Racing’s 15th Championship as an organization (INDYCAR: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and GRAND-AM: 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012), with Pruett and Rojas capturing their fourth championship as teammates (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012). It also marked the third consecutive GRAND-AM title for CGRFS (2010, 2011, 2012).
• CGRFS’ one-two finish in the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona marked the first time a team had reached the four-win mark since Brumos Porsche (1973, 1975, 1978, 2009), and the quickest to do so in the race’s 50-year history.
• CGRFS has the greatest six-race stretch in Rolex 24 At Daytona history with four wins and two second-place finishes from 2006-2011. The team also has six championships (2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012) and 39 race wins – all series records, to their credit since their introduction to the circuit in 2004.
• In 2011, Hand won the Rolex 24 At Daytona and the ALMS’ Sebring 12 Hour race (GT), as well as the 2011 American LeMans Series GT Championship. He led for 96 laps at the 2012 Rolex 24 At Daytona, finishing in the top-10 aboard the No. 01 TELMEX Dinan-Prepared BMW Riley.
• During the 2010 season, Chip Ganassi Racing Teams completed the first ever “Chip Slam” of motor racing by winning four major motorsports events in a 12-month period with victories in the 2010 Daytona 500, the 2010 Indianapolis 500, the 2010 Brickyard 400 and the 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona.
• Pruett is a four-time Rolex 24 At Daytona Winner (1994, 2007, 2008, 2011) and along with Rojas is the record holder for GRAND-AM wins in a single season (nine in 2010). He has never finished outside of the top-two in the season championship. Last season he continued to expand upon his GRAND-AM records for most championship wins with five (2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012) and most wins in the series (38). Pruett, Pedro Rodriguez, Peter Gregg, Rolf Stommelen and Bob Wollek are the lone four-time Rolex 24 At Daytona Winners.
• Chip Ganassi and co-owner Felix Sabates are the only team owners in history to win three-straight Rolex 24 At Daytona events (2006-2008).
• Pruett and Montoya’s back-to-back wins in 2007 and 2008 marked the first time drivers earned repeat victories in the race since 1986 and 1987 when Derek Bell, Al Unser, Jr. and Al Holbert accomplished the feat. Montoya became the first driver in Rolex 24 At Daytona history to win in each of his first two starts in the 24-hour race.
• Franchitti is the only driver to ever capture the 12 Hours of Sebring, the Indianapolis 500, an Indy car title and the Rolex 24 At Daytona consecutively, accomplishing the feat in less than a year in 2009. Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt are the only others to win the four titles, but neither did so in succession.
• Pruett is the first American to score 11 major sports car championships - his closest competitor is the late Peter Gregg who has seven to his credit. Pruett’s previous titles include two IMSA GTO Titles (1986, 1988), one IMSA GT Endurance (1986) and three Trans-Am Championships (1987, 1994, 2003).
• In 2005 Kimball became the first American in 11 years to win a British Formula 3 race. He joined Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing in 2011 for his rookie season in the IZOD IndyCar Series. He went on to record eight top-10 finishes in the No. 83 Novo Nordisk IndyCar over the past two seasons, and became the first licensed driver in history with diabetes to qualify, start and finish the Indianapolis 500.
Chip Ganassi, Team Owner:
• “This race is always exciting for me. Because it is a 24-hour race, there are so many factors that go into having success. You need the drivers, the people, the equipment and the partners - but most importantly they all have to act as one team and that is where I think our strength lies. And having a little bit of luck on your side never hurts. When you make it to victory lane in this race, you know that you have accomplished something really special. In addition, it is not often when we can bring such a diverse group of drivers from NASCAR, INDYCAR, GRAND-AM and ALMS together to compete in one race. It is a great kick off to our racing season.”
Ludwig Willisch, President, BMW of North America, LLC:
• “BMW of North America, LLC is pleased to continue our support of Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates for the 2013 GRAND-AM season. Since 2010, BMW has powered the team to two Daytona Prototype manufacturer championships and three consecutive driver and team titles, as well as a 1-2 overall finish at the 2011 Rolex 24 at Daytona. I am anticipating a great start to BMWNA’s 38th season in motorsport at this year’s Rolex 24.”
2013 CGRFS Rolex 24 At Daytona Driver Lineup
SCOTT PRUETT – United States (No.01 TELMEX/Target Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 1994, 2007, 2008, 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona Overall Winner
- 2004, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Series Driver and Team Champion
- 2006 GRAND-AM Rolex Series Team Champion
MEMO ROJAS – Mexico (No.01 TELMEX/Target Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 2008, 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona Overall Winner
- 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012 GRAND-AM Rolex Series Driver and Team Champion
JUAN PABLO MONTOYA – Colombia (No.01 TELMEX/Target Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 2007, 2008 Rolex 24 At Daytona Overall Winner
- Two-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race Winner
- 2007 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rookie of The Year
- 2003 Monaco Grand Prix Winner
- 2000 Indianapolis 500 Winner
- 1999 CART Series Champion
CHARLIE KIMBALL – United States (No.01 TELMEX/Target Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- Eight top-10 finishes for the No. 83 Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing IZOD IndyCar Series team
- First driver in history with diabetes to qualify, start and finish the Indianapolis 500
SCOTT DIXON – New Zealand (No.02 Target/TELMEX Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 2006 Rolex 24 At Daytona Overall Winner
- 2003, 2008 IZOD IndyCar Series Champion
- 2008 Indianapolis 500 Winner
DARIO FRANCHITTI – Scotland (No.02 Target/TELMEX Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 2008 Rolex 24 At Daytona overall Winner
- 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 IZOD IndyCar Series Champion
- 2007, 2010, 2012 Indianapolis 500 Winner
- 2007 12 Hours of Sebring LMP2 Class Winner
JAMIE MCMURRAY – United States (No.02 Target/TELMEX Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 2010 Daytona 500 and Brickyard 400 Winner
- Six-Time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Race Winner
- 2003 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rookie of The Year
JOEY HAND – United States (No.02 Target/TELMEX Dinan-Prepared BMW)
- 2011 Rolex 24 At Daytona Overall Winner
- 2011, 2012 12 Hours of Sebring GT Class Winner
- 2011 American LeMans Series GT Champion
- 1999 Formula Mazda Champion
About Chip Ganassi Racing Teams
Chip Ganassi has been a fixture in the auto racing industry for over 25 years and is considered one of the most successful as well as innovative owners the sport has anywhere in the world. Today his teams include three cars in the IZOD IndyCar Series, two cars in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and one Daytona Prototype in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. Overall his teams have 15 championships and 150 victories, including four Indianapolis 500s, a Daytona 500, a Brickyard 400 and four Rolex 24 At Daytonas. Ganassi boasts state-of-the-art race shop facilities in Indianapolis and Brownsburg, Ind. and Concord, N.C., with a corporate office in Pittsburgh, Penn.