The American Legion is the nation’s largest veterans service organization with more than 1.8 million members in more than 12,000 posts across the country and has its National Headquarters in Indianapolis, Indiana.
The American Legion’s mission is to enhance the well-being of America’s veterans, their families, our military, and our communities by their devotion to mutual helpfulness.
Throughout its more than 100-year history, members of The American Legion have tackled the most important issues and challenges facing our nation’s veterans with each generation focused on solving the challenges faced before the ones that preceded them.
Today, the #1 issue facing those who served is veteran suicide, according to the National Veteran Suicide Prevention Annual Report. 17 veterans still die by suicide each day, or more than 6,000 each year. Rate of suicide for veterans is more than 50% higher than that of non-veteran adults.
The American Legion’s Be the One campaign will:
- Destigmatize asking for mental health support, creating opportunity for those with mental health issues to speak freely and get the support they need
- Provide peer-to-peer support and resources in local communities
- Deploy FDA-approved therapeutics for veterans to identify issues and find resources for support
- Ask veterans in your life how they are doing
- Listen when a veteran needs to talk
- Reach out when a veteran is struggling
Giving Tuesday is a global movement unleashing the power of radical generosity. On Tuesday, November 29th, we are asking you to support The American Legion and Be the One to make a difference for our veteran community. With your support and donations, The American Legion will direct all funding raised towards resources that provide our veteran community with the support needed to ask for help. Visit betheone.org for more information about how you can participate and follow along in the campaign.