Chip Ganassi Racing Clinches 15th INDYCAR Title and 22nd Overall ChampionshipINDYCAR
PORTLAND, Ore. (Sept. 3, 2023) – Chip Ganassi Racing clinched their 15th INDYCAR title and their 22nd overall championship thanks to Alex Palou and the No. 10 American Legion Honda winning the Grand Prix of Portland today.
• Chip Ganassi Racing has won three of the past four INDYCAR championships.
• Chip Ganassi Racing has won 10 championships since series reunification in 2008 (10 of 16 seasons).
• This is the first championship Chip Ganassi Racing has achieved racing with The American Legion and Parkland Corporation.
• Chip Ganassi Racing also clinched the 1-2 finish in the points standings with Scott Dixon and the No. 9 PNC Bank team's podium finish,
• Alex Palou secured his second career INDYCAR championship (2021).
• Palou is the 22nd driver in the 100-plus-year history of the sport to have won multiple championships, but he is just the sixth to accomplish the feat at 26-or-younger (Mario Andretti; Sebastien Bourdais; A.J. Foyt; Sam Hornish Jr.; Louis Meyer).
• Palou is the fourth driver to win multiple championships with Chip Ganassi Racing (Scott Dixon; Dario Franchitti; Alex Zanardi).
• Palou is the first driver to clinch the championship before the season finale since Sebastien Bourdais in 2007
• Palou is the first Chip Ganassi Racing driver to win five races in a season since 2009 (Dixon and Franchitti).
• This is Ricky Davis' 5th season as crew chief on championship-winning car.
"Alex is certainly special and we noticed that in his first weekend and his first race win at Barber three years ago, said Chip Ganassi. "I told him, 'Hey, let's go wrap this up with a win,' and he said, 'Okay great.' He called his shot today."
"I'm so proud to be here in victory lane and to get my second championship and the 15th for Chip Ganassi Racing," said Palou. "It's extra special for The American Legion and the Be The One initiative, as it is National Suicide Prevention Month. To be a two-time INDYCAR champion, it just feels like a dream. I cannot thank these guys and girls enough. They give me all the tools I needed to win so we will keep on rolling."
Chip Ganassi Racing will pursue one more race win to round out their championship season at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca on September 10.
Source: Chip Ganassi Racing